Tuesday, May 5, 2009

Little CATTY things

I wanted to start this blog even before the kittens got here while I was excitingly anticipating for their arrival. But naturally, as my habits would permit me, I am a top notch pro procrastinator. I make no pretenses that one day I'll ever do anything as quick as it takes for the idea to spark in my head while singing in the shower and boy, do I get inspired in the shower (good CLEAN inspiration, of course!). Anyway, the reason for the set up of this blog is to chronicle the new kittens' time here. Primarily, I wanted to use it as a reference site for future adopters so that people can get a better sense of these cats and also as a personal keepsake for me to remember them by once they leave my humble abode.

For you to be here, you should know that animals aren't just living, breathing creatures inferior to homo sapiens. There are many things that SHOULD mystify you about them and we shouldn't be so coiled in the idea that we're the only ones blessed feelings and personalities. They are individually unique and have very much distinctive personalities and I intend to get to know these kittens through and through and share it here even though it's going to cause me to become as attached to them as tape worms are to intestines. And when we part I'll cry the Nile River. I promise you THAT at the very least.

They've been with me for almost 2 months now and it has been a circus. Undoubtedly, there's more sunshine beaming on this home ever since. AND I don't feel so dead inside and in need of perezhilton.com as much to ease away the pain of my heart. I may not be fat but I am fat INSIDE. But that's a different story you'll probably never hear on this site. Anyway, I'll just give you a brief overview of what has happened in that time because this post could have no end if I decide to detail every bit. I'll rely on my acute memory to give you as accurate a summary of the earlier weeks.

Trouble started within just a few hours after they had arrived. Prior to having been sent to the house, they were vaccinated first. It was of utmost importance to have it done because my cats are virus carriers and unprotected little ones would be exposed to the dangers of a premature death. I knew they ran the risk of getting slightly sick over it as all babies do, but little did I know they would go ape shit on each other. Literally-- minus the ape. But let me tell ya, there was excrement flying around alright and none of it was too rosy. Their mother cat was baffled by her kittens sudden reincarnation as vengeful banshees. But she remained calm and did not decide to panic with them. Because of that I had to separate them into different cages. But I didn't have 4 different cages. So one of them stayed in a basket. I left them that night hoping that the next day they'd be wide-eyed dolls again. It took 2 days for them to recover from the vaccine shots and once they did they were nothing but playful, active 3 month old kittens. Just as enthusiastic to explore the new grounds as gay men are to get creative with a new flower arrangement. Steadily, they allowed us to join in the fun. Personally, it was such a fun moment for me because I haven't seen kittens running around my lawn in a long time. I cannot remember the last time that happened. It was refreshing especially in the mundane state that I have been in lately. This was a job I wanted to do and was happy to do it for free. If only life was as easy.

The first couple of weeks was about getting them to familiarize themselves with the house and its safe areas. Being cats, they were curious to venture out into further territory but I had to draw the line. Outside the gate is too dangerous as there are cars and other insanities lurking (spoken like a true recluse). In the many years that I've lived here, most of my neighbours have been fine with my cats. But many of those neighbours have also moved on and replaced with not so appealing ones. While my own cats know their turf well, the new kittens would have to learn hopefully without much drama or danger. Because of that, I had to make sure that they keep inside the gate. Luckily, we have some spacious land for them to gambol about. For now they still need to be supervised while playing. It may sound insane to some, but really, it's not as insane as caging animals up for life just because you claim to love it with all that protective affection coming from your behind. Some of my neighbours like to give me looks from actually watching my cats play like I would a child. But it really isn't anybodies beeswax.

No comments:

Post a Comment