Tuesday, May 12, 2009

$$$


If vet bills could kill I'd be six feet under and still feeling the flames from my burnt pocket.
You and I must ask -- why does love have to be so expensive? If the gov could subsidize animal medicine, our people would be more caring and passionate citizens. Thus, resulting in a more harmonized community of togetherness without race and class distinctions. No...SERIOUSLY.

I have been making frequent visits to the vet last month all the way through to this month of May. My last visit was just last week and I'm hoping I won't have to venture there again till AT LEAST when I turn 24 later in the month if not when I strike gold while scooping up scattered cat shit on the lawn. I can tell you, I've probably been there approximately 10 times or so and each time I part with cash by the twenties. AND I'M NOT EVEN WORKING. But what can you do when you have SUCH A BIG HEART, eh? Credits and gratitude towards my pimp sugar daddies parents for providing the dough.

From helpless strays to vaccine shots to old injuries to unabated sniffles to scabies to vehicle accidents to spaying procedures to post operation treatments to forcing me to consider selling my organs. All of that was needed, week after week, for both my own senior kittyzens and the newbies along with 2 unrelated homeless puppy-eyed kittens. One died as it was only about a week old and motherless while the other 6 months old kitten was successfully rehomed thanks to the vet student doing his practical training at the clinic. I was so ecstatic and relieved that WonderCat found an unexpected home with a vet student (!) as that very morning my dad had yelled at me to get rid of it. I frantically looked for a fosterer as no one had yet showed interest in adopting it. But I had to cancel sending him to a fosterer for luckily I went to the vet and as his fate would have it, fell into the embrace of that vet student.
That was a bad day gone good =) Should have more of those days and it wouldn't hurt to throw in some $ as well and while we're at it, why not include a rock star?
I actually asked for donations for WonderCat but there were no charges in the end so I returned the money. It's nice to know though that my family and friends were willing to help me out even if they don't have mad love for animals & would never phantom spending as much as I have forked out for the furry ones. See, love IS expensive and I know they all did it for me because they love me =)

Out of the 3 kittens, Peekaboo was spared the scabies however he found himself with other problems. A day before their 2nd vaccination, I found him foaming at the mouth which only indicates one thing. He had consumed something poisonous. And of course I HAD to worry because I've had a cat die from being poisoned before. After several hours he seemed to be ameliorating and was drooling less. That night my mom and I took a coconut frm our coconut tree and hacked it open for some of its water. I've been told before by a JPH worker (and have also read somewhere) to try and give some coconut water to cats with symptoms of being poisoned. I do not know though if this is an entirely safe treatment for cats so do not attempt it if you aren't sure, as it could further exacerbate the cat's condition. Best to ask your vet first.
But I took the risk and tried it anyway. However by this time, Peekaboo was no longer foaming or drooling. He just looked a little tired. I gave him about 2mls of it. Thank God, he fully recovered the next day without an inkling of illness. I did ask the vet to check him later and he said that he was fine. Perhaps he had just swallowed a slightly poisonous bug or plant.
Peekaboo's life is not uneventful as danger seems to come to Peekaboo at every turn. Perhaps it is the curse of his crossed eyes. On Labor day, my brother accidentally ran him over with the car. I was shocked to hear of this and immediately looked for him. As the story goes, my bother had done the routine cat check under the car before he started it. Now the kittens are NOT spooked by the sound of the engine so they couldn't care less to remove themselve from
underneath the vehicle. He shooed them away and saw that they were gone. But when he backed up the car he hit something and then heard a loud meow furthered by the sight of
Peekaboo running off. Since he was late for Friday prayers, he called my mom to check on Peekaboo. Sure enough, Peekaboo was injured. He was limping on his hindleg.
Again, I took Peekaboo to the vet. No one could say for sure where or how he was hit because no one was there to witness it. But the vet said that he had no broken bones but we would have to wait for 2-3 days to see if he has any internal injuries. If he did, there would be visible bruising. So I waited anxiously for 3 days and alhamdullilah, till today there has been no signs of bruising. Plus, he's back to his active self and does nothing but play, ambush and attack fingers and his siblings.

On the 2nd of May, Kecik and Jess were spayed at Klinik Kembiri SPCA in Setapak. I wanted to go there because the price they offered was more than reasonable. Half the charge at a private clinic. I highly recommend people to go there to spay/neuter animals esp if you're on a tight budget or if you want to practice TNR. I plan to join in on that once my money tree bares fruit. There are several resident strays here who could use a better life. I expected to get lost as usual because as much as I like to think I'm a good driver but my sense of direction is as bad as Paris Hilton's acting. Save for one wrong turn and missing the SMALL DBKL sign, it was a good trip and I arrived at 9.20 am. 2 1/2 hours later they were ready to go home.

Since all my own cats were spayed eons ago, I had forgotten how it was like and how they had reacted after the operation. While Kecik was quiet and drowsy, Jess had a different reaction.
Once she woke up in the office she started howling like someone was branding her butt like they do horses in the cowboy ages. Geez, that cat acted like she had been abused by some deranged hobo. She slipped in and out of consciousness and each time she came to she'd screamed no less like a drunken donkey pretending to be Mariah Carey.
It got a little scary and caused me to think that they might've left a baby alien scalpel in her or something. But she soon calmed down and several hours later was back to her usual self. 10 days have gone by and things look good. The time to release them from cage-arrest was today. Immediately they took to wrestling around with Ben and Peekaboo and settling back into their usual routine of turning the house into a home fit for the cover of Pigsty magazine.

Update: And just a couple of hours ago, Ben found himself succumbing to his innate kucing kampung desires and went through the kitchen trash. He then got himself a piece of fish bone stuck between his back teeth. If my eyes could roll back any further it would drop into my skull and roll down to be squeezed out of my rectum from the antics of these cats. To assist Ben, I tried to tug it out but to no avail so I had to call my mother who is wiser and patient and less of a finicky girl such as my HUMBLE self. And of course she fixed Ben straight. Exhausted from the ordeal, he flopped in the middle of the floor into lalaland.

No comments:

Post a Comment